Respect And Dignity For All
Personal Care Assistant Services
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Before services can begin individuals must be eligible (active) for Medical Assistance and have an assessment completed by their local county agency. Upon qualifying for services, a referral can be made to SEMCIL.
Traditional PCA: SEMCIL hires, orientates, trains, and supervises the Direct Support Professionals (DSPs). Recipients are responsible for monitoring time worked, signing timesheets, and working with the Qualified Professional (QP) to develop the care plan.
PCA Choice: The PCA Recipient hires, trains, and supervises the DSPs. The Recipient also finds back up staff, monitors and evaluates DSPs, and maintains a written agreement with SEMCIL.
In both service options SEMCIL bills for PCA services, provides QP supervision, maintains enrollment with the State of MN, and completes all backgrounds studies and payroll/tax obligations.
DSPs can assist with activities of daily living, instrumental activities of daily living (IADL), observation and redirection of behaviors, and health-related procedures and tasks. DSPs can also assist children with IADLs under certain conditions.
A person who wants to become a DSP must:
- Be age 16 or older (Note: People ages 16-17 must meet additional requirements)
- Complete the individual PCA standardized training and pass the certification test
- Enroll with the DHS as an individual MHCP PCA provider after passing a background study
- Be employed by and affiliated with SEMCIL
- Complete SEMCIL specific pre-employment documentation
- Be able to provide the services based on the Recipient’s care plan
Traditional PCA DSPs and PCA Choice DSPs start at $15.25/hour.
Personal Care Provider
SEMCIL is a Personal Care Provider Organization and PCA Choice Provider registered with the Minnesota Department of Human Services. Our Traditional PCA, PCA Choice, Respite, and Homemaker services are available to individuals living in Dodge, Fillmore, Freeborn, Goodhue, Houston, Mower, Olmsted, Rice, Steele, Wabasha, and Winona counties.